Week 1 Wrap-up
End of the week review
Happy Aloha Friday! 🌺
Welcome to the course! You successfully made it to the end of Week 1!🏝️ Congratulations!
I was informed this morning that there was an issue with the waitlist, so it stayed open much longer than we were expecting.
This is a very fast-paced course, so you need to ensure that you are keeping track of the due dates and are proactively keeping up with (or staying ahead of) the course material. The material will build on itself every week, but things will get much easier with practice.
To accommodate students who were added late and give them a little more time for practice, the whole class gets the benefit of an extended deadline.🎊 Whatever progress you have made on the PA01, CA01, and the LA01 Checkpoint labs by the original Friday, Aug 5, 11PM (PT) deadline, a percentage of that score will be added to your grade as a bonus.🎊
Otherwise, Week 1 activities (PA01, CA01, LA01) are now going to be due together with the Week 2 activities (PA02, CA02, LA02 checkpoint labs). I hope it helps everyone start this class with a solid foundation.
All times are in Pacific time (California). zyBooks activities are always due at 11PM.
- ⏰ Friday, Aug 5 - 11PM:
- fill out the Welcome survey and submit it by on Gauchospace (see the bottom of the Week 1 tab there)
- ⏰ Wednesday, Aug 10 - 10:30AM:
- Quiz01 opens on Gauchospace. The 15-minute quiz will cover Week 1 material and will close at 11:00AM. DSP students will receive their appropriate timing adjustment.
- ⏰ Friday, Aug 12 - 11PM:
- ⏰ Due: PA01, PA02
- ⏰ Due: CA01, CA02
- ⏰ Due: LA01 - all non-optional Week 1 zyLabs
- ⏰ Due: LA02 CHECKPOINT labs - all Week 2 zyLabs with “checkpoint” in the title
- ⏰ Due: Weekly reflection that will be posted on Gauchospace
Looking ahead to Week 2, your tasks for the upcoming days are:
- If you were newly-added to the course, please watch the Week 1 recordings.
- Finish reading zyBooks Week 1 and Week 2 chapters
- Write down anything that’s unclear and questions to ask during the class and/or in the office hours and/or on Piazza
- Work on completing Week 1 lab activities (LA01); LA02 will open up mid-week
- Do not try to go through the content as fast as possible - slow down and pay attention to what you are doing.
- Do not spend more than two hours in a row working in zyBooks. Use the Pro tip that we shared with you.
- Do not try to memorize everything! This class has an open-book and open-notes policy, so do not hesitate to use them for reference.
- We will work with strings, tuples, lists, and dictionaries a lot in the following weeks, so we will revisit them again.
- Get a sense of what each data structure (the data type) does by noticing their similarities and differences (use the table on the slides from Class03 or on the website).
- The “📎 Quick access” notes within the zyBooks sections point you to the resources you will definitely need to reference, so make a note of them.
We look forward to a great quarter and to working with you!
Prof K and the mentors
Hello world! 🖖
Before the first day of class
- Read the course syllabus
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.
- Read How to Succeed in CSW 8
- Subscribe to the e-textbook (zybooks, pronounced as zEYE-book) following the instructions posted on the Main tab on Gauchospace.
- This interactive online textbook is required and the subscription must be purchased individually. A large portion of your course grade will depend on the activities that you will complete and submit in this zyBook.
- After subscribing, please, go to https://learn.zybooks.com/library and read through the “How to Use zyBooks” book to know what to expect and get some helpful tips.
- Submit the “Welcome survey” linked on Gauchospace in the Week 1 tab
- Start reading Week 1 and Week 2 chapters on zyBooks
- You will be added to the course forum (Piazza) and the Gradescope site on Tuesday evening, after the first lecture, once we close the waitlist. In the meantime, you can use the form that’s linked on the Syllabus page to submit any questions that you have.
- Take the practice quiz on Gauchospace on Wednesday
- Attend the lab section on Thursday
- Finish everything listed below that needs to be done by Friday 11pm
On Friday by 11PM ⏰ the following are due:
- PA01 - all participation activities in Week 1 chapter of zyBooks
- CA01 - all challenge activities in Week 1 chapter of zyBooks
- LA01 Checkpoint labs - all labs activities in Week 1 chapter of zyBooks that have the word “Checkpoint” in the title
- Welcome survey linked on Gauchospace in the Week 1 tab
Week 0 Announcement